The DIY-decorating-table-setting-gift-giving-skills over here at The Dream are DIZZYING. I just can’t keep it to myself anymore – so I’m ruining a surprise for our Turkey Day guests by sharing what I made them this weekend. There is STILL TIME if you want to steal this idea… 🙂
I was directed to a very cool DIY project over on Pickles and Cheese, which got the creative wheels turning…
The talented folks over at The Lettered Cottage are to thank for getting the wheels turning. They Tweeted about this fun DIY project, which prompted a phrophetic re-Tweet last week:
And that’s EXACTLY WHAT I DID! (Can you sense the pride I have in myself right now? It’s ridiculous.) My masterpieces are still drying, but here’s a sneak peak, followed by the DIY steps.
- Burlap – I got mine at a local fabric store for $2.99/yard. 1 yard will yield 4 placemats.
- Fabric paint – get at any fabric/craft store
- Small sponge brush – got mine for $0.57 at Home Depot
- Stencils – mine were leftover from last year’s Christmas Dream Skirt project
Before painting, fray the edges by pulling out a few strands until you get the desired amount of fray along all four sides.
These are a 3-for-1 deal!
- Placemats (which are great because I didn’t have any that matched my new Thanksgiving table cloth!)
- Fun alternative to place cards
- Party favor! Each guest can take theirs with them when they go (hopefully, there’s not a lot of cranberry-sauce-spillage)
There you have it! Am I wrong to be so proud? I’ll do another post later this week to show you how they look on the table.